Use of face mask has now become an essential "must do" action of our daily life to prevent the dangerous and life threatening coronavirus from entering our lungs as we breathe. In fact, mask is a major weapon apart from frequent hand wash and maintenance of physical distance in order to keep ourselves safe and at the same time to stop the spread of the deadly virus.
However, with this new must to do duty has come certain side effect such as dermatological problems that has been face by many, especially those who go out from home and wear mask for long hours every day. This condition is known as "maskne" (mask acne) which causes in skin issues including redness, bumpiness, and irritation.
According to dermatologists different people have different skin types like oily, dry, sensitive and normal. Depending on the type, the skincare regimens also varies. The basic care which works wonder for every skin type is to drink lots of water and keep the skin dehydrated.
To know more about the proper use of masks and treating mask, this reporter from Fit Northeast had a conversation with Guwahati city-based beauty expert Chumi Sonowal.
Sonowal started by simplifying and elaborating the meaning of maskne. She said that it is also a condition which is known as miliaria, which means a simple heat rash that is seen in the form of some acne, pimples, blackheads or either whiteheads. "Such a condition may also be the result of some kind of adhesive component under the mask, which may be sensitive to the skin and cause any kind of irritation", said Ms Sonowal.
She said that in case the person has oily skin type, then he/she tends to feel oilier which is caused due to the clogging of pores due to caused by the mask. It can even be said that oily skin is more prone to maskne.
Ms Sonowal also suggested few tips to stay away from such issues.
• Drink lots of water and keep the skin naturally hydrated.
Before going to sleep, the skin must be cleansed again and a light moisturizer must be applied. This habit will help to exfoliate the skin and maintain its freshness.• Cleansing the face with a gentle cleanser is always beneficial for the skin as it removes the layer of oil on the skin, thus preventing the attack on bacteria on the skin.
• It is preferred not to use any kind of make-up as even that might cause added problems.
• The use of aloe vera is highly recommended as it gives a cooling effect to the skin and decreases rashes and irritation.
• Before going to sleep, the skin must be cleansed again and a light moisturizer must be applied. This habit will help to exfoliate the skin and maintain its freshness.
• Wearing the mask for prolonged hours can be harmful and it is advised to move away from the crowd for a short time and pull down the skin for some time just to make the skin breathe for a while.
A few things should also be kept in mind while choosing the mask. A mask with a softer fabric is better for the skin. It is strictly suggested to wash the mask after every use with a mild detergent and water.